Sunday 1 November 2009

What Steve did last night

Saturday
PM... as in 9.32pm or so. Just back from the 'Kingfishers Got Talent show' were I was a guest 'artiste' (on just before last years winner). Well what a shocker! It was amazingly professional. All 200 seats sold out, people standing down the sides, a full PA and professional lighting system... you get the picture. Combined with 3 local faces acting as Ozzy, Simon Cowell and Amanda Holden, 2 very good MC's and a little stage crew I was worried my 'put it together as you go along' plan was going to look absolutely rank. I need not have worried.

The 'talent' was very, very enjoyable. A great little rock band, a dance group, a Kate Bush impersonator, more dancers, more singers... all much better than whatever I'd imagined. I was due to go on before the youngster winner from last year (there was a youngsters winner and an adult winner) while the crowd voted for their favourite.

A quick word with the MC's about rolling the bell out and milking it as though it weighs a ton (was in fact a Baby Inch, a thick handled 53-kilo / 118lbs dumbbell), some background rock music and there help working the crowd... BOOM!! I rocked!!

I made sure to the get the crowd behind me with a 'wow, how good has it been thus far and you've all been great... don't let down cos I'll need your strength to get me through the act... he he' Baring in mind my back was aching even with painkillers right up to the walk on stage and then... nothing cos I was in the zone! I had the kids come to the front with a 'who wants a souvenir??!!' and bent a few nails to get them and the crowd going (usual ahhs for the kids he he), then broke (so much easier when the buzz and adrenalin is pumping) and tore 3 Argos Catalogs in twain. I then milked a one hand lift, either hand, of the dumbbell, then a clean pull to my chest and finally 'but only if you cheer loud enough' (much waving at crowd and me shouting like a stabbed bull 'C'MON!!!!!!!!!) I then pick it up, drop it and catch it in the same hand before it hits the ground, then switch hands (by throwing it across) and do the same with the left (also lets one side and the other of the audience see what you're doing). Huge cheer and me buzzing all night ha ha.

After wards I signed an autograph (on a portion of the catalog), bent loads more nails (inc one which made my palm bleed but that only made it seem harder - it also meant if I clapped the winners my hand got all bloody ha ha) and even posed for a photo or two with a special needs girl.

Gavin, one of the lads I coach, did me a huge favour of dropping off and picking up and taking back of the dumbbell etc. Cheers Gavin. All in all a good night and I think they liked it. As IFBB pro Lee Powell won it last year they must like zee muscle ha ha. Icing on the cake was a little gift back which include a bottle of Newcastle Brown which you know will not be touching the sides (as indeed the first Bitter already done did not ha ha). Pizza and Ben & Jerries will end the night nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I'm looking for worldwise submissions, additions and constructive comments. I reserve the right to remove, edit and if need be go raving mad. :)