Monday 9 November 2009

Stop faffing about

Inspired by another of Romano's scribblings (Enough questions - go train) I thought I'd add my own 2p's worth - UK style. On occasion I have been known to have a teeny weeny bit of an ego (I know, you're all in shock LOL). Sometimes said ego allows me to think 'you must be special cos you can do X, Y and Z and others cannot'. On my more modest days I think along the lines of 'you ain't doing anything that fancy so how come others aren't doing what you do or close to it?'.

I mean I do not abuse 'gear' (very low dose and a healthy (I hope) approach), I stick to the basics - what works, works! I eat sensibly but still enjoy the odd indulgence and so on. So how come the gyms are full of guys a million miles away from where they should be. Sure I understand we wont all have the same goals, life gets in the way and so on. But how come so many lack the ability to apply the basics in a consistent manner long enough and well enough to get some way towards what they set out to achieve?

I have, on occasion, coached people and John Romano has, like me no doubt, been asked a million times about this or that (as per his article). is the truth, eat well, train hard, don't over do it (guilty sir, sorry...) and rest... repeat, so complicated??

Perhaps the one thing lacking is drive. If I'm not so outstanding physically or genetically then perhaps the spark that's needed is that drive to succeed. Take my mind set pressing today - I wanna stack the machine so the idea of '60-kilos for 8, then 65-kilos' becomes in my head 'add weight BITCH, FILL IT RIGHT UP!!'. Or, as per Saturday, when I was doing heavy lat pulldowns and had a 10-kilo plate pinned to the 140-kilo stack my mind was thinking '180kg one day... oh yes... repped!!'. Do others think 'oh this burns... I'll do a few pumpers and I'm done??'

When I'm coaching and have the odd willing (as opposed to one-time wonders) I'm able to show them that they are capable of so much more then they think they are. I'm no 'rep counter' when I coach. I'm far more of a 'get it done NOW!!' type trainer and while that doesn't suit some it does others and those do a hell of a lot more when they walk through the door than they may have thought they could. I don't charge a huge amount so am of the opinion that I do not want to waste my time with those that, as per the title, faff about. Ron Harris, of MD, once alluded to the idea of training with a champ. Even he succumbed to this when he did a train with Ronnie weekend. I used his example by saying 'why wait until Ronnie's about, get it done now!!'. Sure it's damned hard work but that';s how to make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I'm looking for worldwise submissions, additions and constructive comments. I reserve the right to remove, edit and if need be go raving mad. :)