Friday 6 November 2009

2HP World Record

So I mention yesterday my intention to, if need be, crawl over the road to do my best to break the world record (David's 115-kilos effort) with a target of 117-kilos. Now David and I, both in posting and via a chat on MSN had talked about my idea of retiring from competition following the Euro's in August.

David said, quite truthfully, that I might find it difficult to give up the competition scene come the time. So it was a little amusing (deffo eyebrow raising) to see a declaration of his intent to, and I quote, ''If you break my record, I will take it back, and very quickly. My training lifts right now are very strong''. Now if David is, as he says, capable that's all well and good. But I've also been thinking of the idea that at some point one has to give up the idea of a record never being broken by anyone else.

With the rare exception most records end up being broken. It is the lot of a former record breaker to see someone come along and take your record from you. It is what it is. If David has it in him to do more, then great, the bar gets raised and those that follow have some more kilos they need to add to their bars in order to beat him. But at some point David, myself and any other wanna-be record holder will have to take it on the chin. Our records will fall.

2 comments:

  1. Records get broken, champions retire.
    "When" depends on if they can stomach not being on the "podium" all the time and continue for the challenge to self/fun/whatever ala Steve Davis. The main thing is to do it with dignity, whatever the decision. From your point of view you have a lot to teach the newbs, and not so newb. So rather than just disappearing the "greats" still have a lot to offer and if they love the sport will make sure it doesn't regress in standards just to avoid their record being broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I know I'll have more energy and focus to put in those directions come the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I'm looking for worldwise submissions, additions and constructive comments. I reserve the right to remove, edit and if need be go raving mad. :)