Wednesday 25 November 2009

Pre workout products... are they needed?

I'm from the K.I.S.S. school of thought (keep it simple stupid). I make up a strong coffee (2 teaspoons of some instant and 3 of sugar) and neck it about 30 minutes or so before I intend hitting the weights. Now in the last few years we've seen a bunch of products hit the market. Some are pure pre-workout and some pump/pre-workout combos. What I'm seeing more and more is an over reliance on products being used to 'get one up' before the gym. Given that the majority of trainees the world over are not going to look like Mr Olympia any time soon why then do they seem to be incapable of a workout worth a mention without taking some inevitably over-priced concoction that will help them? There's an analogy which applies here. We know that anti-biotics, if over prescribed, eventually loose their effectiveness. Ditto a healthy dose of painkillers becomes less so and thus you need more to get an effect. The same applies to most stimulants. Yes, this includes coffee and caffeine (a common ingredient in said products). You need to dose yourself carefully so that you ONLY use when required. Try and have time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I'm looking for worldwise submissions, additions and constructive comments. I reserve the right to remove, edit and if need be go raving mad. :)