Thursday 12 August 2010

One to wet the tastebuds

While I wait for my man G to work out how I can add lots of grip and 'me' related articles to www.stevegardener.com here's one to show you what I intend adding to the site.

WHY TRAIN GRIP?

Ok, some advice from a grip guy – one who specializes in grip. Are you ready? Perhaps you’ll be persuaded to add 20 or so minutes grip work into your current training program. Andy Bolton, the greatest deadlifter of all time (current WR 1008lbs) did as does Laurence Shahlaei, WSM finalist.

Lets start with whom I am and some brief info on what I’ve thus far managed to achieve: My name is Steve Gardener and I am the 4x British Grip Champion (06,08 09 and the current champ in 2010). I am also a 2x European Grip champion and the only one to have successfully defended his title with a 2008 and 2010 win. I have, thus far, closed the toughest gripper in competition (rated using what is called a ‘red neck gripper calibrator’) being a Ironmind CoC 4 rated at 207lbs. I’ve the British record for 2 hand pinching (placing me No 3 in the world rankings) with a 115.5-kilo effort. I could carry on – sufficient to say I ‘know grip’.

Now onwards – I often train not only at my own very basic no frills hardcore old school (all spit and no sawdust) facility but also at a local gym. I’m often asked by newbies there and occasionally online why they should train grip. So here are a few reasons to illustrate why you should be gripping your way around the gym.

Lose the straps – too, too many people that use the gym use wrist straps to support their grip. They argue that their grip gives out on many, many pulling movements. Be that a Deadlift (very common), most forms of rowing and lat pull-downs/chins.

Monstrous forearms - Unless where you live is sunny all year round the reality will be that for SOME of the year you’ll be seen in t-shirts and only will that become a vest or better, no vest, in the hottest times of year. During the times when you can wear a t-shirt the forearms will be the only actual muscle on display. Sure you may fill out the shirt well but no on can actually see a thing other than the shape. Me? I look like Popeye and 90% of people can see that I work out. It’s not just the swagger and being well in excess of 280lbs most of the time it’s the meat between my elbow and wrist.

Greater reps / Better muscle contraction – see also greater strength. This works both ways so I’ll merely copy and paste this passage for both. It’s based on actual science. Now bear with me: it goes thus. In tests done some time ago lifters were asked to squeeze as they lifted (I’m sure someone like me was cajoling them through a set or maximum effort). When I’ve illustrated this I get the lifter to do an open handed set (thumbless is ideal) say on a bench press type machine. Then one set with a light ‘just there’ grip. Finally a set where they squeeze like they intend leaving grooves in the handles where their fingers sat. I get them to squeeze with the fingertips, thumb, palm, the full monty and HARD ALL the way through. Is it easy? Is it hell! The forearm burns. But here’s the thing and this, as before, proved in scientific tests, MORE MUSCLE FIBRES ARE ACTIVATED. Now in a 1RM (1 rep max) that means typically 5% MORE WEIGHT can be pushed. And in a multi-rep set it means MORE REPS, which you know means more muscle fibres will be broken down and providing you rest enough you’ve stimulated more muscle growth.

Read that last part again – squeezing the bar hard makes you stronger and build more muscle. But it is hard work. So working the grip means you can squeeze hard without getting too tired too quickly.

Greater strength / Better muscle contraction – see also more reps. This works both ways so I’ll merely copy and paste this passage for both. It’s based on actual science. Now bear with me: it goes thus. In tests done some time ago lifters were asked to squeeze as they lifted (I’m sure someone like me was cajoling them through a set or maximum effort). When I’ve illustrated this I get the lifter to do an open handed set (thumbless is ideal) say on a bench press type machine. Then one set with a light ‘just there’ grip. Finally a set where they squeeze like they intend leaving grooves in the handles where their fingers sat. I get them to squeeze with the fingertips, thumb, palm, the full monty and HARD ALL the way through. Is it easy? Is it hell! The forearm burns. But here’s the thing and this, as before, proved in scientific tests, MORE MUSCLE FIBRES ARE ACTIVATED. Now in a 1RM (1 rep max) that means 5% MORE WEIGHT can be pushed. And in a multi-rep set it means MORE REPS, which you know means more muscle fibres will be broken down and providing you rest enough you’ve stimulated more muscle growth.

Read that last part again – squeezing the bar hard makes you stronger and build more muscle. But it is hard work. So working the grip means you can squeeze hard without getting too tired too quickly.

Day to day - Yep we’re on to that old jam jar lid. Whether it’s that or a screwdriver, holding onto your handlebars when out biking or any activity in normal outside the gym use working grip will mean you have the strength to do these activities without being too tired or weak. The clincher has been for many a ‘manly’ grip. I’ve written elsewhere about handshakes, be they the traditional version or soul brother/bro style the clench/shake still shows you to be strong and, as many a salesman and politician will tell you, trustworthy. Those who hassle you can know in a moment you might be more work than you look just based on that moment they shook your hand and looked you in the eye. A salesman in a car showroom might take you a little more seriously than he was going to you before. Me? I have to hold back from hurting people – yes really.

Now in future articles I’ll deal with specific ideas and suggestions for training. I tend towards looking at athletes to see where the weakness lies rather than something generic. I’ll also suggest how you can work out what sets and reps to use when making up your own routine.

In the meantime buy by Gripper e-book at www.gripperbook.com or contact me for some one to one online (and occasionally by appointment only personal training. Rates are reasonable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I'm looking for worldwise submissions, additions and constructive comments. I reserve the right to remove, edit and if need be go raving mad. :)